When a voyage along the east coast of Australia, Cairns is a must-stop (and mandatory). Although it is a medium sized city (population barely 100 00), its close proximity to the Great Barrier Reef making it a city crowded with tourists and shops of all kinds. The excitement that I could back to Airlie Beach is the "small beer" compared to Cairns.
So I arrived in Cairns on Saturday night, October 9. The hostel I had chosen for my stay was Gilligan's Backpackers, a hostel with a huge annex a restaurant serving pub disco night every night and offering a plate of free food to customers of hostel! In my dorm, my roommates were a Chinese, one German and three Canadians from Alberta!
So I arrived in Cairns on Saturday night, October 9. The hostel I had chosen for my stay was Gilligan's Backpackers, a hostel with a huge annex a restaurant serving pub disco night every night and offering a plate of free food to customers of hostel! In my dorm, my roommates were a Chinese, one German and three Canadians from Alberta!
Sunday, October 10
---------------------------
My first day was spent in Cairns a stay of diving on the Great Barrier; stay I had booked in advance a few days ago. The number of tour operators offering dive trips in Cairns is simply maddening, and the choice can be difficult. Looking at the comments from various sites and forums, I finally accepted the operator Down Under Dive to make my first dive on the Great Barrier.
On Sunday morning, a shuttle is picked me straight to my hostel to get me to the marina. The cruise on the Great Barrier consisted of visiting with 2 reefs, of course, a buffet lunch offered directly on the boat. After completing the formalities, we left mid morning to Saxon reef. We were about 5 or 6 divers, other passengers on the boat (about sixty) were conducting a diving, snorkeling only (snorkel and mask). Our 2nd dive site was Hastings Reef (which was less impressive than Saxon) discovered that I know of in the afternoon. Originally, I had only booked 2 dives for that day but the beauty of sites and the low incremental cost for additional dive convince me to take a Extra diving. As my previous dive, my dive guide was very professional and leadership had nothing to do with the one I had during my stay in Marseille. One thing is certain: I will never go back diving in Marseille!
Aware of my 3 dives this day, I saw, among other things, giant clam, a sea turtle, an octopus (which I do not know the name) that changes color when it feels attacked a lionfish , many corals and, of course, clownfish. The cruise ended around mid-afternoon. I spent the rest of the day in my hostel in Cairns. I was generally satisfied with my time diving. The only drawbacks were adding $ 30 to have a dive guide (it's strange that the price of the guide was not included in the base price) and the large amount of passengers informed of this cruise ( we were more than sixty). It was a little "factory" atmosphere like (it's a reality that is quite common, it seems, in Cairns ... the Great Barrier annually attracts several million visitors).
On Sunday morning, a shuttle is picked me straight to my hostel to get me to the marina. The cruise on the Great Barrier consisted of visiting with 2 reefs, of course, a buffet lunch offered directly on the boat. After completing the formalities, we left mid morning to Saxon reef. We were about 5 or 6 divers, other passengers on the boat (about sixty) were conducting a diving, snorkeling only (snorkel and mask). Our 2nd dive site was Hastings Reef (which was less impressive than Saxon) discovered that I know of in the afternoon. Originally, I had only booked 2 dives for that day but the beauty of sites and the low incremental cost for additional dive convince me to take a Extra diving. As my previous dive, my dive guide was very professional and leadership had nothing to do with the one I had during my stay in Marseille. One thing is certain: I will never go back diving in Marseille!
Aware of my 3 dives this day, I saw, among other things, giant clam, a sea turtle, an octopus (which I do not know the name) that changes color when it feels attacked a lionfish , many corals and, of course, clownfish. The cruise ended around mid-afternoon. I spent the rest of the day in my hostel in Cairns. I was generally satisfied with my time diving. The only drawbacks were adding $ 30 to have a dive guide (it's strange that the price of the guide was not included in the base price) and the large amount of passengers informed of this cruise ( we were more than sixty). It was a little "factory" atmosphere like (it's a reality that is quite common, it seems, in Cairns ... the Great Barrier annually attracts several million visitors).
Monday, October 11
----------------------
----------------------
My route was changed a few days ago (when I was in Airlie Beach), I had a free day on my route. So I enjoyed the day from Monday to relax in the lagoon city of Cairns (substantially equivalent to Airlie Beach) and plan the rest of my stay in Australia.
Tuesday, October 12
----------------------
In my original route, it was expected that I make a 2nd day of diving at my stay in Cairns, in order to explore the famous Agincourt reef which, according to my guide, is pretty impressive. To visit this reef, it must go through a tour operator from Port Douglas, a small town (very luxurious) located 1 hour north of Cairns. The latter does not know the same excitement that Cairns and the choice of tour operators is smaller. Originally, my choice was fixed on the operator "Poseidon Cruises" but, by chance, one of my dormitory mates had managed to book a first dive on the reef of Agincourt at a reduced rate with a Another tour operator (which also seemed good side) for the day Tuesday. So I decided to do my 2nd stay diving on the Great Barrier with the tour operator Aristocat which made me save about $ 50. Issue a souvenir of my many dives in Australia, I decided to rent for the day a digital camera (and his cabinet sealing), the rental price is very affordable ($ 45 including engraving on a DVD). Towards
7am, a shuttle picked me up at the hostel to go towards the marina of Port Douglas. The day cruise exploring consisted of three reefs. Unlike my previous Sunday cruise, the boat was not surbondé and less commercial atmosphere (which is a good thing). In addition, one of the dive guides (Australian origin) spoke French fairly well. The ship left Port Douglas in mid-morning and our first stop was Swallow Reef. We then sailed Nobodies light reef before ending the cruise in the famous Agincourt Reef. I had the opportunity to take several pictures and videos of my various dives that I will publish soon on my Facebook profile. Regarding the dives, we were a group of about 5 divers, the other passengers (about forty) making the snorkeling. During my 3 dives, I had the opportunity to observe, among others, a Puffer fish, sea cucumbers, a napoleon fish and even a few reef sharks (harmless to humans). In the course of the day, I also had the opportunity to become acquainted with a French couple living in Geneva.
So I returned to Cairns in the late afternoon and I spent part of the evening at the restaurant-pub in my hostel with a few companions in my dorm, Casey (an Australian Sydney I met during my dive Down Under Dive) well as 2 from Tasmania Australia.
Wednesday, October 13
--------------------------
7am, a shuttle picked me up at the hostel to go towards the marina of Port Douglas. The day cruise exploring consisted of three reefs. Unlike my previous Sunday cruise, the boat was not surbondé and less commercial atmosphere (which is a good thing). In addition, one of the dive guides (Australian origin) spoke French fairly well. The ship left Port Douglas in mid-morning and our first stop was Swallow Reef. We then sailed Nobodies light reef before ending the cruise in the famous Agincourt Reef. I had the opportunity to take several pictures and videos of my various dives that I will publish soon on my Facebook profile. Regarding the dives, we were a group of about 5 divers, the other passengers (about forty) making the snorkeling. During my 3 dives, I had the opportunity to observe, among others, a Puffer fish, sea cucumbers, a napoleon fish and even a few reef sharks (harmless to humans). In the course of the day, I also had the opportunity to become acquainted with a French couple living in Geneva.
So I returned to Cairns in the late afternoon and I spent part of the evening at the restaurant-pub in my hostel with a few companions in my dorm, Casey (an Australian Sydney I met during my dive Down Under Dive) well as 2 from Tasmania Australia.
Wednesday, October 13
--------------------------
Cape Tribulation is a town about a hundred miles north of Cairns and in the heart of the Daintree National Park. Located by the sea, this is one of the few places in Australia where the jungle down to the sea is therefore a perfect place to explore a rainforest at a transition in Cairns region.
Finally my 4 days in Cairns, so I decide to take a trip through a tour operator in Cape Tribulation. Originally, I intended to make a trip of 2 days in this area with an overnight stay in a hostel (located in the jungle)! However, after reflection, pass a night there seemed to represent little interest considering that the program spread over two days was essentially identical to that offered on one day. I finally opted for a one day trip with tour operator Explore Tropics and, through a travel agency in Cairns, I was able to save about $ 15 off the regular price.
around 7:30 am, a bus has come to pick me up directly at the hostel and then we went to Port Douglas to take a few other passengers. Our guide was an American (which was established in Cairns for several years with his wife) very nice but a little too much talking at times. Our day trip began with a stop at Daintree village with a river infested with saltwater crocodiles! We had the opportunity to conduct a "cruise" on the latter to observe some of these predators sometimes up to 8 meters! Later in the morning, we made a part of Marrdja Boardwalk is a walk in the heart of the rainforest.
After dining at a hostel (located in the heart of the jungle) and Express made a stop at the beach of Cape Tribulation, the day continued with a visit to Alexandra Range Lookout (which is an observation point overlooking the area) and river gorge Moosman. Late afternoon, we made a stop at Port Douglas Express (which allowed me to see a little town) before returning to Cairns. The day was interesting but, unfortunately, the visit too fast and timed.
Back in Cairns, I spent my last evening in Queensland at the restaurant-pub in my hotel along with Casey.
Finally my 4 days in Cairns, so I decide to take a trip through a tour operator in Cape Tribulation. Originally, I intended to make a trip of 2 days in this area with an overnight stay in a hostel (located in the jungle)! However, after reflection, pass a night there seemed to represent little interest considering that the program spread over two days was essentially identical to that offered on one day. I finally opted for a one day trip with tour operator Explore Tropics and, through a travel agency in Cairns, I was able to save about $ 15 off the regular price.
around 7:30 am, a bus has come to pick me up directly at the hostel and then we went to Port Douglas to take a few other passengers. Our guide was an American (which was established in Cairns for several years with his wife) very nice but a little too much talking at times. Our day trip began with a stop at Daintree village with a river infested with saltwater crocodiles! We had the opportunity to conduct a "cruise" on the latter to observe some of these predators sometimes up to 8 meters! Later in the morning, we made a part of Marrdja Boardwalk is a walk in the heart of the rainforest.
After dining at a hostel (located in the heart of the jungle) and Express made a stop at the beach of Cape Tribulation, the day continued with a visit to Alexandra Range Lookout (which is an observation point overlooking the area) and river gorge Moosman. Late afternoon, we made a stop at Port Douglas Express (which allowed me to see a little town) before returning to Cairns. The day was interesting but, unfortunately, the visit too fast and timed.
Back in Cairns, I spent my last evening in Queensland at the restaurant-pub in my hotel along with Casey.
0 comments:
Post a Comment